At M1 Finance, your security is our priority. Here are a few additional steps you’ll want to take to keep your account safe:
- Use long, complex passwords that contain many characters and symbols.
- Make sure your password contains no personal information, including names, birthdays, or addresses.
- Do not use the same password you use on another website — especially your email password.
- Never share your password.
- Use a password manager.
If you forgot your password please visit our Help Center article with instructions to reset it.
Two-factor authentication (2FA)
- 2FA adds an extra layer of protection by requiring any person accessing your M1 account to also have access to your mobile phone.
Turn on notifications
- Use our mobile application to receive notifications about changes to your account. The app is available in the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Turn on your mobile notifications so you receive all notifications. If any account updates or changes happen without your knowledge, please contact us immediately.
Read your emails
When changes are made to your account, you will receive confirmation via email. If any of these updates happen without your knowledge, please contact us immediately.
M1 will not reach out by phone requesting personal information such as bank account information or personal identifiable information such as a social security number or phone number. If you receive a suspicious email or call from a source requesting such information, please contact us immediately.
Monitor your account
On a weekly basis, check in on your account to ensure no activity was created without your authorization. Review monthly statements for any possible inaccuracies.
Update your login credentials
If you believe your M1 Finance login has been compromised due to suspicious activity, please update your login credentials immediately.
We recommend you to take precautionary action to update the login credentials for your other logins (for example: email, social medias, online banking) as well. Please contact those relevant platforms to begin that process.
Reporting unauthorized activity
If a deposit, withdrawal, or trade order is made without your authorization, please contact us immediately. In the meantime, ensure that any unauthorized ACH transfers are cancelled under the Transfers tab of the M1 app.
Additionally – check that your bank connection is accurate and update the information if not.